GIGA STORAGE ACCELERATES ENERGY TRANSITION WITH THE NETHERLANDS’ MOST POWERFUL BATTERY
- Energy storage is the missing link in the energy transition.
- Renewable energy, such as wind and solar power, involve more fluctuations, and the trend where consumers of energy are increasingly also producers continues.
- As a result, it is becoming increasingly complex to properly match supply and demand and keep the electricity grid in balance.
- To cope with peaks and troughs and to prevent sustainable energy from going to waste, GIGA Storage will install very powerful batteries at strategic locations in the Netherlands.
- In the third quarter of 2020, GIGA Storage will place its first 12 MW battery in the Netherlands. The amount of energy stored in the Rhino battery on an annual basis is comparable to the total electricity consumption of about 5,000 households.
- An important step to accelerate the energy transition in the Netherlands.
In the third quarter of 2020, the first battery will be operational. It will be placed at the national practical center for sustainable energy Acrres in Lelystad, part of Wageningen University & Research. The battery will be connected to the Neushoorntocht Wind Farm. The battery has therefore been named the “Rhino battery.”
The primary purpose of this battery is to put a larger amount of renewable energy, at the right time, on the electricity grid. We do this by deploying the battery in such a way that you make optimal use of renewable energy production.
Windnet owns the local power grid. In the coming years, several large-scale wind and solar farms will be realized in Lelystad and connected to this grid. A smart-grid is being developed for this purpose, in which the battery will limit the switching off of renewable energy sources. Project Rhino thus makes an important contribution to reducing CO2 emissions. By storing renewable energy in the battery, this energy will not go to waste.
FIRST BATTERY THANKS TO ‘DEMONSTRATION ENERGY AND CLIMATE INNOVATION’ GRANT
The Rijksdienst Voor Ondernemend Nederland (RVO) is supporting the first battery with a grant of €2.6 million, under the “Demonstration Energy and Climate Innovation” scheme, better known as DEI+.
Next week a crowdfunding campaign will start at Sustainable Investing. A bond loan will be issued for this purpose. Interested parties can apply through the GIGA Storage website or at www.duurzaaminvesteren.nl.
RUUD NIJS, CEO OF GIGA STORAGE
“With the increase in renewable energy, there will be an increasing need for energy storage. Storage and control of electricity is indispensable for a reliable and affordable energy system. The Rhino battery also makes an important contribution to take over the control function of coal and gas power plants.”
RUUD KOORNSTRA, ADVISORY BOARD OF GIGA STORAGE
“The energy transition is equal to a ‘perfect storm.’ Energy storage initiatives like this are crucial for the transition to sustainable energy management. And with this, the Netherlands can then again become a leader with benefits for the world and the BV Nederland.”
ABOUT GIGA STORAGE
GIGA Storage realizes large-scale energy storage. Investments are made in projects for both optimization of energy supply and grid stability. GIGA Storage aims to become the market leader of energy storage in Europe in order to fully utilize sustainably generated energy.
GIGA STORAGE IS WORKING WITH THE FOLLOWING PARTNERS IN THIS PROJECT:
Acrres, ENGIE, Innofunding, Movares, NEC, Peta Watts, Royal HaskoningDHV, NortonRoseFulbright, Van Rossum, RSM, TNO, Ventolines, Windnet en de WUR.
Maarten Quist, COO, +31654350035